- On line, if you’re within three months of age 62 or older, or
- By calling our national toll-free service at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visiting your neighborhood Social Security office. A scheduled appointment isn’t needed, but it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply if you call ahead and schedule one.
You’ll assist when you are prepared to:
- Offer any needed papers; and
- Answer the relevant questions given below.
Papers you might need certainly to offer
We may request you to offer papers to demonstrate that you’re qualified, such as for instance:
- Birth certification or any other evidence of delivery;
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you had been perhaps perhaps not created in america More Info;
- U.S. discharge that is militarys) in the event that you had army solution before 1968;
- W-2 kinds(s) and/or self-employment taxation statements for just last year.
- Last divorce or separation decree, if using as being a divorced partner; and
- Marriage certificate.
We accept photocopies of W-2 kinds, self-employment tax statements or documents that are medical but we should understand initial on most other papers, such as for instance your delivery certification. (we shall get back them for your requirements.)
Try not to postpone trying to get advantages since you don’t have most of the papers. We shall help you to get them.
That which we shall ask you to answer
- Your title, sex and Social Security quantity;
- Your title at delivery (if various);
- Your date of delivery and put of delivery (State or international nation);
- Whether a public or religious record ended up being manufactured from your delivery before age 5;
- Your citizenship status;
- We will also ask for information on whose Social Security record you applied) whether you or anyone else has ever filed for Social Security benefits, Medicare or Supplemental Security Income on your behalf (if so,;
- Whether you’ve got utilized virtually any Social Security number;
- Whether you became not able to work as a result of conditions, accidents or conditions at any right time in the previous 14 months. If “Yes,” we shall additionally ask the date you became not able to work;
- Whether you were ever within the active armed forces solution before 1968 and, if that’s the case, siberian dating the times of solution and whether you have got ever been qualified to be given a month-to-month reap the benefits of an army or Federal civilian agency;
- Whether you or your better half have actually ever struggled to obtain the railroad industry;
- Whether you’ve got gained Social safety credits under a different country’s social protection system;
- Whether you qualified for or be prepared to be given a pension or annuity according to your employment that is own with government regarding the united states of america or one of its States or regional subdivisions;
- Whether you’re presently hitched and, in that case, your better half’s name, date of delivery (or age) and Social protection quantity (if understood).
- The names, times of delivery (or age) and Social safety figures (if understood) of every spouses that are former
- The times and places of each and every of the marriages and, for marriages which have ended, just just just how when they ended;
- The names of every unmarried kids under age 18, age 18-19 plus in primary or additional college, or disabled before age 22;
- The name(s) of one’s employer(s) and/or details about your self-employment plus the quantity of your wages with this year, a year ago and the following year;
- Whether we might speak to your companies for wage information;
- The you want your benefits to begin; and month
- If you should be within three months of age 65, whether you intend to sign up for medical care insurance (component B of Medicare).
According to the information you offer, we possibly may want to ask other concerns.
It’s also wise to have your checkbook or other papers that demonstrate your bank account quantity at a bank, credit union or any other institution that is financial you’ll subscribe to Direct Deposit, and get away from worries about missing or taken checks and mail delays.